Prep 40 mins
Cook 7 mins
I bought a bottle of Trader Joe's Black Pepper Sauce and needed a way to use it! The bottle says: Trader Joe's Black Pepper Sauce is an authentic Thai stir-fry sauce. Add to a stir-fry with chicken, shrimp, or tofu, or use as a delicious marinade for chicken, beef, or pork. Trader Joe's Black Pepper Sauce ingredients: water, sugar, black pepper, garlic, soy sauce, rice bran oil, salt, modified tapioca starch, citric acid. ---- If you don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, you might substitute Lee Kum Kee Black Pepper Sauce!
- 16 ounces large raw shrimp (thawed, if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons trader joe's black pepper sauce (or substitute Lee Kum Kee Black Pepper Sauce)
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot (sliced very thin, then minced ~ or grate the ginger)
- 1 large navel orange (zest peel, then slice orange into segments)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (ginger infused dry sherry even better!)
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, black pepper sauce, grated ginger, orange zest, orange segments, and orange juice ~ marinate for 1/2 hour.
- In a hot skillet or wok, melt the butter and olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, and sherry ~ saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the marinated shrimp mixture.
- Saute for about 3-4 minutes until shrimp turns pink.
- NOTE: Sauce will be thin ~ you MIGHT be able to thicken it with a little cornstarch mixed with cold water, then add the cornstarch mixture to the hot sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes while stirring, although I read that cornstarch doesn't react well to acidic ingredients so I have not tried to thicken this sauce with it. Perhaps I will buy some arrowroot and try that for this sauce!
- Serve over cooked jasmine rice, with steamed broccoli, or green beans.