Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great quick supper for those very busy soccer nights! We normally make it with a pot of rice or chow-mein. (I can sometimes con the kids into making this for me, which is even more of a bonus!) It's very good and you can add whatever vegetables that appeal to your family. I got this recipe from the Canadian Living Magazine, (1997) and have made it many, many times!
- 1 lb sirloin steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 5 carrots, peeled
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 cup oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sugar snap peas or 2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- Trim Fat From Steak.
- Slice across the grain in 1/8 inch thick strips; cut into 2-inch lengths.
- Cut carrots into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Using zester, peel rind of oranges into long, narrow strips.
- Squeeze oranges to make 1/3 cup of juice.
- Whisk together half of the rind, the juice, oyster and soy sauces, sherry, cornstarch and pepper sauce.
- In bowl, combine beef with 2 TBS of the sauce and let stand for 20 minutes.
- In wok, heat half of the oil over high heat; stir fry beef in batches for 1- 2 minutes or until browned but still pink inside.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil, ginger and garlic to wok.
- Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 30 seconds or until golden brown.
- Add carrots and 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve snow peas diagonally.
- Stir into wok with beef and remaining sauce; bring to boil and cook uncovered for 1- 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Top with remaining rind.
Followed the recipe exactly. Boy! If you like orange alot and I mean alot, this dish is for you! Next time I make this dish, I'll cut the amount of zest into the sauce in half. This recipe needs a little work before I serve it to company.