Prep 22 mins
Cook 0 mins
On Christmas Day so very long ago, I watched quietly from the living room window for Santa to disappear in his sleigh as the morning dawned clear and brisk. I knew he had come, and even though my parents always laughed off the idea, I *KNEW* he existed. I could peek and see there are a large, brand new spanking "Easy Bake Oven" and I almost passed out from the excitement I could hardly conceal. I ran in my room, and promptly jumped up and down on my bed until the springs creaked with enough noise to wake all the sleeping cats in the house. "He had come! and.....Santa had brought a perfectly sized oven for just me." To be truthful, I shouldn't of even peeked, but I did. The first wonderful treat I made with my oven was the tiniest little cake. My mother and I had worked together to get the ingredients right, and I learned how to put this delightful frosting together, which; to this day I still prepare with the fresh oranges that come at Christmastime. I don't have the "Easy Bake Oven" but I do have the memories.
- 2 tablespoons shortening (butter flavor=good idea!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange peel (grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (sift if lumpy)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, fresh
- Combine shortening, salt, orange peel, and 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar mixing until smooth and creamy delicious.
- Add more sugar to thicken frosting or add more juice to thin the frosting.
- When spreading consistency has been reached, just get a spoon and eat from bowl.
- Oh no!
- I mean, of course; spread it on a cake. Really -- .
This recipe doesn't make a lot. It would need to be double for a double layer cake.
Had to remove the icing to another room otherwise I would have "taste-tested" my way through it before the cupcakes were ready. Perfect little recipe. I chopped up the orange zest and may have used more than what's called for (I'd really measure that next time). Lovely fresh orange flavour. Made with softened Earth Balance - worked like a charm. Thanks Andi!
This is a delicious and tasty light frosting. I would not use the butter flavored Crisco again, though. It has a disticnt taste and I think regular shortening or butter would be better. Thanks for sharing Andi!