Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A breakfast or brunch dish. Note, this dish does have to be refrigerated over night. Chilling time is not included in the prep time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup honey (I use raw honey)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 slices French bread (from an unsliced loaf)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice (I use fresh squeezed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place butter in a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Combine the sugar, pecans, orange peel and cinnamon; sprinkle over the melted butter.
- Arrange bread in dish.
- Dot with cream cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, honey, and butter.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To serve, invert slices onto plates.
Loved It! Sweet, gooey and delicious. Really liked the addition of the cream cheese. I added some heavy cream to the eggs and topped with some brown sugar(because more sugar is better in my book).Thanks for a great posting.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap # 75* OHHHH-- this was GOOD ! As I was putting it together, discovered I had no honey , but since it was such a small amount, just subbed some corn syrup and think it didn't really matter. Made the entire recipe for DH and I, so 2 more yummy, gooey breakfasts ! I am sure the DGKs will enjoy this on their next sleep-over. Thanks for posting !
Technically, I suppose I didn't actually make French toast, since I didn't use French bread! However, except for that, I followed the recipe right on down, & the whole grain bread that I did use made for a wonderfully delicious breakfast! I did cut the recipe in half for just the 2 of us, & both of us would happily have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner again! Thanks for sharing this very nice recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my group mates in the current Aus/NZ Recipe Swap]