Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nice for breakfast or brunch.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 33 vanilla wafers (1 1/2 cups) or 23 graham crackers, crushed (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 -10 slices Texas toast thick bread (day old works best) or 8 -10 slices French bread (day old works best)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- maple syrup
- In a shallow bowl, beat together eggs, orange juice, and nutmeg (beat really well).
- Place the cookie crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Quickly dip bread into the orange juice mixture, then into the crumbs.
- Fry bread on each side until lightly brown (about 4 minutes per side).
- Add additional butter each time more bread is added to the pan.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.