Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a high-class version of a favourite. The flavours really work well together.
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons orange blossom water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 oranges, zest of
- 1 orange, juice of, strained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place rice, water in saucepan. Bring to boil stirring every now and then.
- Cook until water absorbed.
- Stir in milk and salt.
- Gently simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add other ingredients and place in serving bowl.
- To make syrup:.
- In saucepan combine sugar and water. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add orange zest and cinnamon and cook until zest is translucent.
- Carefully add orange juice and cook further 30 seconds.
- Allw to cool slightly and pour over rice.
DH (Tannic) made this for me for Mother's Day. I suggested he cook extra rice to thicken it up & it worked. Zest of 3 oranges was wayyyy too much; 1 would have been good. the syrup was too sweet? zesty? something...too much. It was good but i think could be better. made for pool party tag 5/10.
The final product ended up being yummy, but I had problems with the proportions for both the pudding and the syrup. Made as written, the pudding had the consistency of thin congee. to fix it I cooked another half cup of rice in 1 cup of water and the added it to the congee and cooked it came together and the texture of both batches of rice was similar. the syrup, made as written, came out very thin. I happend to get a very big orange (1/3 cup of juice) and the syrup needed to be cooked down some. It ended up tasting great, when all was done.