Recipe by PintoPony
From Betty Crocker's Cooky Book from '63.
Top Review by runner3477
I've made these cookies many times, so I know there is a huge omission in this recipe -the frosting, which really "makes" the cookie. I can give this 5 stars only if the frosting is used. Here's the recipe - Orange Butter Icing: 2 cups powdered sugar 2 Tbsp. butter, softened 1 Tbsp. grated orange rind 2 Tbsp. orange juice Blend sugar and butter, stir in orange rind and add juice gradually until smooth. Add more juice to maintain consistency as you frost cookies. I make 1-1/2 times the frosting recipe because my family likes frosting. For the cookies themselves, I would suggest combining the 2 cups flour (I use perhaps 1/4 cup more), baking powder, baking soda and salt before adding to the mixture. Another suggestion is to chill the dough, although the original recipe does not call for this.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (204ºC).
- Mix shortening, sugar, and egg together completely.
- Stir in orange juice and orange rind.
- Slowly mix in flour.
- Blend all other ingredients together; add to orange mixture.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until "delicately browned on edges.".