Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe while searching for a recipe to use up a bunch oranges that had been given to me. The kids will only eat so many fresh oranges, ya know? You can use ice cream in place of the frozen yogurt if you like. Cook time incudes freezer time, but does not include refrigeration time.
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt (fat-free works fine)
- Cut each orange in half widthwise; carefully remove fruit from both halves, leaving shells intact. Set shells aside.
- Section orange pulp; then dice.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add frozen yogurt; stir until melted. Fold in orange pulp. Refrigerate until thickened.
- Spoon into reserved shells. Cover and freeze for 3 hours.
- Oranges can be served at this point or transfer them to ziptop bags and keep frozen until ready to serve.
This was easy to make and tasted good. The only thing I didn't like was biting into the frozen pieces of orange. I think next time I would chop the oranges up and and then blender them to get them into a pulp. I also used only 2 large oranges (they were $1 ea!) I didn't use the shells, as I was too lazy to try to get the stuff out without ripping the skin.