Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006-Tunisia. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- oil, for deep frying
- To make doughnuts: In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in oil, orange juice, orange peel and sugar.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Stir into egg mixture, 1 Tablespoon at a time, making a soft dough. Cover; let stand 30 minutes.
- To make syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil; boil gently 5 minutes. Stir in honey; boil 5 minutes longer. Set aside; keep warm.
- To assemble: Heat oil to 350ºF or until a 1-inch cube of bread turns golden brown in 65 seconds.
- Divide dough into 10 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Press each ball to flatten slightly. Press your thumbs through the center of each flattened ball, making a 1-inch hole.
- Fry 2 doughnuts at a time in hot oil, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Using a wooden skewer, prick cooked doughnuts in 6 or 7 places. Dip pricked doughnuts in warm syrup. Serve immediately.
This were great. I had a similar dessert before on a vacation, so I was interested to see how it compared and it was really good. My husband thought they were too sweet, but I enjoyed them! Thank you for posting ZWT3