Recipe by Gerry
Another favorite from the old family cookbook. Delicious with the dates and orange juice so complimenting each other making for a lovely addition to the serving tray.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
ABSOLUTELY A WINNING RECIPE ~ Great combo, what with the orange, dates (I used Medjool) & toasted pecans! Will certainly enjoy making these again often, especially during the colder months! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 2⁄3 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (I use pecans)
- 1⁄2 cup dates (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon cream or 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and mix smooth.
- Add Baking Powder, Baking Soda, salt and Graham crumbs.
- Add nuts and dates.
- Add orange juice and zest and mix well.
- Bake in a 9x9 greased pan at 350 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes. When cool you may want to ice with orange icing.
- Orange Icing: In a medium bowl mix butter, cream and orange juice.
- Add in icing sugar, adding more if needed to make for desired consistency.