1/2 Photos of Orange Date Pumpkin Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Another addition to my growing collection of pumpkin breads. If you don't like dates, raisins should also work well here. This was sent to me by BHG and though I have not tried it, I plan to do so soon with modifications as shown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup egg substitute or 4 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 7 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two loaf pans with a light coating oc cooking spray.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, stir together pumpkin, sugar, egg, honey, oil, applesauce, orange peel, and orange juice.
- 4Using a spoon, stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Take care not to overmix as that will toughen the bread. Stir in nuts and dates (or raisins). Divide mixture between the prepared pans.
- 5(Tip: Dates can be quite sticky and hard to chop. Give your knife a quick shot of cooking spray. Once chopped, mix about 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture with the dates to help the bits separate and become evenly distributed in the bread.).
- 6Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- 7Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 8This bread freezes well.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Date Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.2
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 107.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g