Top Review by chriskringle
This has become my standard muffin recipe that I make about once a month. I freeze a batch and then take one every day for breakfast. Really delicious. I substitute applesauce for the oil and I add it with the other liquids. And I don't go to the trouble of preparing the orange zest; I just leave it out. Also, 1/2 cup of walnuts seems like enough. And I thought there used to be a review of this recipe that said it tasted good to substitute some dried apricots for some of the dates, which I also do. I calculated that, made my way, they are just about 200 calories a piece, and with a glass of milk, that's the perfect breakfast!
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg (egg substitute optional)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease one 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine bran cereal, water and oil, stirring until bran softens.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, orange juice, molasses, honey, orange zest, and egg until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.
- Add buttermilk mixture to bran, stirring to combine.
- Add flour mixture, dates and walnuts to bran mixture, stirring just until flour is moistened.
- Spoon into muffin cups, and bake until top springs back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.