Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These low-fat soft orange muffins are bursting with sweet orange flavour. By far the best orange muffin I have made. The original recipe is for orange date muffins but I often replace the dates with chocolate chips. Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East for thousands of years
- Cut orange into 8 or more pieces, remove seeds.
- Place cut orange into a blender or food processor.
- Blend into rind is finely ground; add orange juice to this mixture to make it easier to grind.
- Add dates (or chocolate chips), egg, and margarine; blend until mixed (if using chocolate chips you may want to add them in step 6 instead of in this step).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Add orange mixture to dry ingredients; stir gently until just mixed.
- Spray 12 medium-large muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Fill tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
These were excellent. They remind me a lot of these great muffins I would get at the farmer's market in Bloomington, IN. I have really missed them, but these are a close approximation. I did use butter instead of margarine and I added 1/2 tsp of cloves, 1 tsp of fresh chopped ginger, and 1/4 cup ground flax. They turned out beautfully. Thanks for the recipe.
Oh. My. God. I'm a little leary when it comes to low fat/healthy foods because it's hard to find some that actually taste good. WOW. That's all I can say about these muffins!! I made them with chocolate chips and the only substitution I made was to use butter instead of margarine. I also didn't have *quite* enough white flour, so there was more whole wheat flour in it. The little chunks of orange rind in it are what seals the deal. They get sort of caramalized and chewy, and the muffins aren't overly sweet. This is one I'm DEFINITELY adding to my collection. Thank you SO much for an awesome recipe!!
This was great. I made a few small changes - I used 1 cup whole-wheat flour and 1/2 cup ground almonds instead of the flour combo suggested, and added 2 tbs of sour cream to make it lighter. I also needed to bake it for 30 minutes for some reason, but they turned out wonderful. Definitely a keeper recipe.