Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
These low-fat soft orange muffins are bursting with sweet orange flavour. By far the best orange muffin I have made. The original recipe is for orange date muffins but I often replace the dates with chocolate chips. Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East for thousands of years
Top Review by snordyke
These were excellent. They remind me a lot of these great muffins I would get at the farmer's market in Bloomington, IN. I have really missed them, but these are a close approximation. I did use butter instead of margarine and I added 1/2 tsp of cloves, 1 tsp of fresh chopped ginger, and 1/4 cup ground flax. They turned out beautfully. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 whole orange (rind and fruit)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup dried dates, chopped or 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup margarine, plus
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut orange into 8 or more pieces, remove seeds.
- Place cut orange into a blender or food processor.
- Blend into rind is finely ground; add orange juice to this mixture to make it easier to grind.
- Add dates (or chocolate chips), egg, and margarine; blend until mixed (if using chocolate chips you may want to add them in step 6 instead of in this step).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Add orange mixture to dry ingredients; stir gently until just mixed.
- Spray 12 medium-large muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Fill tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.