These low-fat soft orange muffins are bursting with sweet orange flavour. By far the best orange muffin I have made. The original recipe is for orange date muffins but I often replace the dates with chocolate chips. Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East for thousands of years
- Cut orange into 8 or more pieces, remove seeds.
- Place cut orange into a blender or food processor.
- Blend into rind is finely ground; add orange juice to this mixture to make it easier to grind.
- Add dates (or chocolate chips), egg, and margarine; blend until mixed (if using chocolate chips you may want to add them in step 6 instead of in this step).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Add orange mixture to dry ingredients; stir gently until just mixed.
- Spray 12 medium-large muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Fill tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.