Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These were the Pillsbury Bake-Off Prize winner for 1988. Simmilar to a bear claw with a moist filling.
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml grated orange peel
- 118.29 ml chopped dates
- 226.79 g can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 29.58 ml margarine or 29.58 ml butter, melted
- Heat oven to 375°F
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts, sugar and orange peel;blend well. Reserve 1/4 cup of mixture for topping. Stir dates into remaining mixture; set aside.
- Separate dough into 4 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal. Cut each rectangle in half crosswise; press or roll out each to form eight 4-inch squares. Brush each with margarine. Spoon about 2 tablespoon date mixture across center 1/3 of each square to within 1/4 inch of edges. Fold sides of dough over filling; pinch center seam and ends to seal. Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using scissors or sharp knife, make three 1/2-inch cuts in one folded edge. To form claws, separate cut sections of each roll by gently curving into crescent shape. Brush top of each claw with remining margarine; sprinkle with reserved sugar-nut mixture. Bake at 375F.for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
These are GREAT! I used to think that I was great at following directions, but now I really do know better ~ With this one, I added more orange zest, increased the amount of chopped dates [it was STILL a 1/2 cup, but I packed them in!], so when it came to adding the filling to each square of dough, I was....generous!! Absolutely wonderful claws, & this recipe's one I'll make again! Thanks!
These are outstanding! So easy to be so good! I had some dates in the fridge that were just waiting to be used. I made a couple of mistakes in making them and they still turned out good. First I forgot to butter all the insides of the pastry. Then I completely forgot to put the topping on until about the last five minutes. They didn't look as good as yours (my fault) but they still looked alot better than I thought they would! I will definetly have these again, and hopefully next time I will make them according to direction. Oh yeah, love the orange added in! Thank you cookiedog for a new keeper!