Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an old recipe from a great, great aunt.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (or 1/2 cup butter)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a bowl, cream butter and one cup of sugar together.
- Add one tablespoon of water to baking soda and add vinegar to the milk.
- Mix in rind from two oranges, flour, egg, water/baking soda mixture and milk/vinegar mixture.
- Add walnuts and dates.
- Bake in an angel food cake pan or a spring form pan at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes.
- While cake is baking, squeeze the juice from the 2 oranges and mix with the remaining 1 cup of sugar.
- When cake comes out of the oven, pour this mixture over the cake.
This is one of the best cakes that I have ever eaten!!! The flavors and textures that this cake has are outstanding!! The zest balances perfectly with the dates and walnuts. The glaze sinks down into the cake for a moist, sweet-orange heaven in every bite!! It was easy to make too!! Thank you so very much for this cake, it will be one that I make again and again!!!!!!!!!!