Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
You'll need about 2 oranges to get 4 tsp. grated orange peel.
- 1 cup unprocessed natural bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour or 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the bran, orange juice, honey, and molasses. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the applesauce, egg whites, and orange peel into the bran mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the dates.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto the rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
Very orangey! I love the texture of oat bran muffins, and these are no exception. They get a very nice crown on them - I don't think I let mine brown *quite* enough, but still good. Made as directed, with an exception of subbing white sugar for the molasses (I'm molasses-ed out!), and plumped raisins for the dates. Most orange recipes aren't as orangey as I had hoped, this one is great! I think this would be great using cranberries, too! Great for my hiking bag. Thanks!