Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe, slightly tweaked, was found in the September 2008 Taste of Home Bake Sale cookbook. What makes them special is the orange glaze! Preparation time does not include the time needed for the bars to cool.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped (Medjool dates preferred)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease a 15"x10" baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine dates, brown sugar, water & butter, then bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer 5 minutes or until dates are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat & stir in chocolate chips.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk & orange juice.
- In another mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda & salt, then ALTERNATELY add this dry mixture AND the orange juice mixture to the date mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the walnuts, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven & let cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, in a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter & orange zest, then stir in milk a little at a time until glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over the cooled base before cutting.into bars.