A custard soufflé flavored with orange zest, and served with bananas and toffee sauce. If you have any toffee sauce over, store it in the fridge for another day. If you are short of time, buy ready-made toffee sauce. The egg yolks left over can be used to make zabaglione, creme brulee, or what about Crab Cakes from Joe's Crab Shack #20036? Adapted from a recipe by James Martin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Souffle
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar, for sprinkling
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons ready-to-serve custard
- 2 oranges, grated zest
- 4 small bananas
- brown sugar, for sprinkling bananas
- vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
For the Toffee Sauce
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F (180C/gas 4).
- 2Butter four ramekin dishes, and sprinkle some sugar inside each, using the tablespoon of superfine sugar.
- 3Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the orange zest with the custard.
- 4Whisk the egg whites in a large, perfectly dry bowl until stiff. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the custard.
- 5Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and risen.
- 6Meanwhile, to make the sauce, place all the ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil, stirring until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
- 7Peel the bananas and slice in half lengthways. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add the remaining ounce of butter. When it becomes golden brown, add a sprinkling of brown sugar and the halved bananas. Saute the bananas on both sides until nice and golden, taking care not to break them.
- 8To serve, arrange the warm bananas on individual plates with the souffle on the side. Pour the warm toffee sauce over the bananas and serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. If desired, decorate with a mint sprig.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Custard Soufflé With Banana and Toffee Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 949.8
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 38.4 g
- Cholesterol 189.2 mg
- Sodium 365.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 59.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: