In 'SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue' by Aviva Goldfarb
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or 1/2 small yellow onion)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 -1 1/2 cup white rice or 1 -1 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder or 1 -2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add in the shallot and celery; saute for 5-7 minutes until they are tender
- 3Meanwhile, start the rice; cook according to package directions.
- 4Add the beans and next 7 ingredients to the shallot celery mixture; bring to a boil.
- 5Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 6Serve the beans over the cooked rice; you can sprinkle the beans with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- 7Omit or reduce the brown sugar if you want the dish to be less sweet.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Cumin Black Beans over Rice
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.1
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 42.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 18.0 g