Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a nice traditional spiced pumpkin pie with an added zestiness of orange in the crust and the filling. The boubon whipped cream is a nice kicked-up topping. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup real butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
For egg wash
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
For Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- For crust, mix flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter until crumbly.
- Stir in orange peel and just enough orange juice to form a dough.
- Shape it in a ball and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll dough out between wax paper and fit it into your deep-dish pie plate.
- Prick randomly with fork.
- Refrigerate another 20 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- For filling, mix sugars, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in mixing bowl.
- Whisk together pumpkin, milk, eggs and orange peel in a seperate bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients and set aside.
- Make your egg wash by stirring egg yolk and water together.
- Brush the entire crust with the egg wash and then pour the filling in.
- Bake about 35- 45 minutes in preheated 375 oven until filling is set.
- You may want to use foil to cover the crust if it starts getting too dark.
- Cool pie on rack.
- For Bourbon Cream, beat cream, sugar and bourbon until soft peaks form.
- Serve a spoonful of cream on each piece of pie.
We made 3 pies for Thanksgiving and this was the favorite. We LOVED the orange-flavor in the crust, and echoed in the pumpkin filling. The crust and the bourbon whipped cream really make it though. Can't say much more, this was really a taste sensation. I have never had orange in a pumpkin pie like this and it is terrific. Highly recommended.