Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Similar to the 7-Up Pot Roast recipe we posted...This time it's chicken and orange soda...The idea came (in part) from a marinade recipe we had been using, but instead, dumped in the crock pot and left to slowly cook...Serve with steamed vegetables and roasted potatoes to complete your meal!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Instead of whole chickens, I used 8 large chicken breasts that were 7 to 8 ounces each, but other than that, I followed the recipe right on down! Don't think I've had Orange Crush since they quit putting it in those short brown bottles, but I will say that, along with the other ingredients, it gave the chicken an interesting & enjoyable flavor! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]
- 4 lbs whole chickens (Perdue preferred)
- 1 (12 ounce) can orange soda (Orange Crush preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman preferred)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove giblet/gizzard packet from the chicken and do whatever you want with it, you won't need it here.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken; place chicken in crock pot.
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine the orange soda (Orange Crush) with the soy sauce and pour over the chicken.
- Toss in a couple bay leaves and set crock pot on low for 6 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the breast meat reads 170°F.
- Potatoes, carrots, celery and onions may also be included as the chicken cooks (maybe half way through the cooking process?).
- Remove chicken to serving dish (along with any vegetables you might cook with it), to cool/settle 5 minutes, before serving.