Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Healthy orange-flavored crunchy cookies...untried by me, but look interesting.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats (I'd probably use whole oats instead, but that may mess up the "crunch" factor)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix oats, flours, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well; place spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet.
- Use spoon to flatten each one to about ½ an inch thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Remove to cooling racks.
I was looking for a heart healthy recipe and a way to use a tired orange and the last bit of oatmeal in a bag and tried these. They were very quick to mix up and smelled so delicious while they were baking! I made just a half recipe since I was low on oatmeal and used 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup oat bran since I was shorter on oatmeal than I thought. My small orange yielded 1 tsp of grated zest so that is the amount I put in my half batch. I also used sweetened dried cranberries instead of raisins. I divided the dough into 12 equal portions and baked them on parchment instead of greasing the pan. I don't think I flattened them down quite enough, they were maybe 3/4 inch instead of the 1/2 thick the directions called for and I found they took much longer to bake than stated, maybe because they were too thick. Took 21 minutes in my oven. They also were slightly soft, with the crunch being more from the almonds than anything else but they were delicious all the same. While they were cooling, a couple disappeared and I accused the dog but it turned out to be a 2 legged cookie tester who has already asked me to make them again. I wasn't sure that I liked the texture of these so I am giving it only 4 stars but the two legged tester thinks they are a 5 in every way. I can see lots of possibilities for tweaking on this one. Thanks for posting meow!