This is the recipe for the famous Orange Crunch Cake from the Bubble Room in Captiva Island, Florida. It has developed quite a cult following. We love it. I hope you do, too. The added bonus-it's pretty easy to put together.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 Pillsbury Plus yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 pillsbury ready to spread vanilla frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- : Combine crunch layer ingredients. Press 1/2 into each bottom of 2 greased and floured 8" or 9" pans.
- : In a large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 mins at high speed. Pour into pans.
- : Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes Cool 10 minutes Remove from pans and cool completely.
- : In small bowl, mix frosting & topping. Fold in lemon & lime peels.
- : Place one layer, crunch side up, on plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer, crunch side up. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.