Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is a customer request recipe from Outpost Natural foods. Of course, they want you to use all organice ingredients, but you are welcome to use regular stuff! :) All the other recipes on sight start with a boxed mix and this is homemade, from scratch. Prep time is an estimate.
Top Review by willowm
I changed this recipe a litte. I used half and half for both milks, no orange concentrate or extract. Instead, I zested one orange and squeezed the juice for the cake, and did the same for the icing. By only having 1/2 the liquid in the icing, the icing was perfect. And as MY special touch? I used Hershey's dark cocoa, added hot water and plenty of sugar and to make it semi sweet and drizzled it between the layers and used it to marbelize the top after the icing. The cake tasted delicious but was very (extremely) dry. (and I had to take it out after only 27 minutes before it gurned.)
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk, plus
- 1 teaspoon 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
- 16 ounces sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice concentrate
- mandarin orange, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the 1 2/3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, water, milk, canola oil, vanilla and orange extract.
- Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients, alternately, to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter among two 9 inch sprayed cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool, and remove from pans.
- Frost cake, either 2 separate cakes, or if you are brave, as a 2 layer cake!
- Garnish with mandarin oranges.
- Frosting: Cream the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and o.j. concentrate together until well blended.