Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A sopisticated and yummy spin on the classic "cremesicle" combination. Enjoy!
Make and share this Orange Cream-Dream Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 5 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- red food coloring (optional)
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 can prepared vanilla frosting (or your favorite frosting--a cream cheese one is yummy too)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute, or until creamy.
- Add the egg, 2 Tbsp.
- orange juice, 3 1/2 tsp.
- orange zest, vanilla, lemon juice, and orange extract; beat until well blended.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture; mix well.
- Shape the dough into 2 logs about 2" in diameter on a lightly floured surface.
- Wrap each log tightly in waxed paper; chill at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line at least 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 1/4" thick slices; place 1" apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool cookies on the sheets for 2 minutes; then transfer them to wire racks and cool completely.
- Combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp.
- orange juice, and 1 tsp.
- orange zest in a medium bowl; beat until blended.
- Add additional orange juice, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- (At this point, add a few drops of red and yellow food coloring; mix until you reach a desired orange color.) Glaze tops of cookies; let stand 1 hour, or until glaze is set.
- Frost half of the cookie bottoms with vanilla frosting; place a second cookie bottom side down over the frosting to make a sandwich.
- Store loosely covered in a single layer for up to 1 week.