Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this idea after experimenting with my vanilla frappuccino cupcakes and filling. The icing is an orange flavored butter cream, the cupcakes themselves lightly orange flavored and the cream filling, in this case is just ordinary whipped topping with part of the icing recipe used in this. Please see my vanilla frappuccino recipe if you would like home made cream filling. Enjoy! And I welcome criticism. Can't improve if no input!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (start cupcake)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 drops orange food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange extract (end cupcake)
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened (start icing)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 drops orange food coloring (optional, end icing)
- 2 cups non-dairy whipped topping (start filling)
- 1 cup of left over orange buttercream frosting (from above. see instructions, end filling)
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare baking pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk baking soda, flour and salt. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and sour cream; set aside.
- In separate bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter until smooth. Slowly add sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add extract and 2 to 4 drops food coloring (optional), mixing well.
- Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into baking cups to 3/4 full. Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely on wire rack before assembling.
- Orange Buttercream Frosting: Blend butter until smooth; slowly add confectioners' sugar until combined. Add vanilla and water; mix at low speed 1 minute, then at high speed for 5 minutes. Set aside 1 cup frosting. Add extract and food coloring to remaining frosting, mixing well.
- Vanilla Buttercream Filling: In a medium bowl, fold in non-dairy whipped topping, 1/2 cup at a time, into the 1 cup of reserved frosting. Whisk until smooth.
- To assemble cupcakes: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open star tip with Vanilla Buttercream Filling. Insert the tip halfway into the center of the baked cupcake; press until the top of cupcake begins to rise slightly. After filling cupcakes, frost as desired.