Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I stumbled upon this recipe on line and thought it sounded yummy. I think this would be great with toasted english walnuts and cranberries too. Can't wait to try this!
- Combine cream cheese and shortening, creaming well.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in walnuts and orange peel.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 3 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 mintues. Then sprinkle orange juice over loaves. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
An easy & versatile recipe. Dense, moist & flavorful .I cut the recipe in half and made the following subs based on personal preference: used whole wheat pastry flour, butter, Neufchatel cheese, grated rind of one orange & used the juice of the orange plus non fat milk to make up the liquid and added a cup of chopped walnuts. Baked for about 45 min and did not sprinkle with orange juice. Husband liked it because it's not too sweet. Made to go with a Vegetarian Split Pea soup.
I followed the recipe right on down, well, except that I did use two generously rounded tablespoons of minced orange zest, since I wanted the orange flavor to really stand out! This delicious bread is certainly worth making again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]