Recipe by CindiJ
I stumbled upon this recipe on line and thought it sounded yummy. I think this would be great with toasted english walnuts and cranberries too. Can't wait to try this!
Top Review by k8bug
An easy & versatile recipe. Dense, moist & flavorful .I cut the recipe in half and made the following subs based on personal preference: used whole wheat pastry flour, butter, Neufchatel cheese, grated rind of one orange & used the juice of the orange plus non fat milk to make up the liquid and added a cup of chopped walnuts. Baked for about 45 min and did not sprinkle with orange juice. Husband liked it because it's not too sweet. Made to go with a Vegetarian Split Pea soup.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream cheese and shortening, creaming well.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in walnuts and orange peel.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 3 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 mintues. Then sprinkle orange juice over loaves. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.