Recipe by Redsie
These squares are moist and not too sweet. The mix of dried cranberries and orange go wonderfully together. You can also use another dried fruit of your choice, such as dried cherries, apricots, raisins or dates. Another great light recipe from Rose Reisman.
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Make squares: in a bowl and using a whisk or electric mixer, beat brown sugar, sugar, orange rind, orange juice, oil, egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cranberries, baking powder and cinnamon. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture into the orange mixture until mixed. Spread into a prepared dish.
- Make topping: in a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture over the squares.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out dry.
- Let the dish cool on a wire rack.