1/1 Photo of Orange Cranberry Spiral
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Robin Hood's Home Baking Cookbook. The loaf looks like it came from a bakery, but it is actually fairly quick to prepare and easy to shape.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml flour (either all purpose or white bread flour)
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 22.18 ml instant yeast (two envelopes)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg
- 414.03 ml milk
- 354.88 ml dried cranberries
- 177.44 ml butter
- 14.79 ml orange zest (use a microplane grate for best results)
- 1 egg, beaten
FILLING AND GLAZE
- 1Combine 2 cups of the flour, sugar, yeast, salt and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- 2Heat milk, dried cranberries, butter and orange zest until hot (125F/50 C) and butter is melted. This can be done in the microwave in a microwave-safe container or in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining measure of flour to make a soft dough. Use a dough hook to knead for 5-6 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- 4Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
- 5Divide dough into two equal portions.
- 6Roll one ball of dough into a 16- by 12-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into six 2-inch wide strips. A bench/dough knife or pizza cutter works well for cutting the dough. Brush the dough strips with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Roll up one strip loosely and place, cut side up in center of prepared pan. Coil remaining strips loosely around the center roll, covering the bottom of the pan. Repeat with the second ball of dough to make a second loaf.
- 7Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until puffy and almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. Alternatively, cover pans with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Allow dough to come to room temperature before baking.
- 8Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 9Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. Brush over loaves.
- 10Bake on center rack of oven for 30-40 minutes until golden. Cover loosely with foil if the bread is browning too quickly.
- 11Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Cranberry Spiral
Serving Size: 1 (1614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2260.1
- Calories from Fat 877
- Total Fat 97.5 g
- Saturated Fat 58.3 g
- Cholesterol 456.0 mg
- Sodium 1925.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 295.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 50.4 g