Recipe by Lille
Adapted from Robin Hood's Home Baking Cookbook. The loaf looks like it came from a bakery, but it is actually fairly quick to prepare and easy to shape.
- 5 -6 cups flour (either all purpose or white bread flour)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast (two envelopes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (use a microplane grate for best results)
- 1 egg, beaten
FILLING AND GLAZE
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 cups of the flour, sugar, yeast, salt and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Heat milk, dried cranberries, butter and orange zest until hot (125F/50 C) and butter is melted. This can be done in the microwave in a microwave-safe container or in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining measure of flour to make a soft dough. Use a dough hook to knead for 5-6 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Roll one ball of dough into a 16- by 12-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into six 2-inch wide strips. A bench/dough knife or pizza cutter works well for cutting the dough. Brush the dough strips with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Roll up one strip loosely and place, cut side up in center of prepared pan. Coil remaining strips loosely around the center roll, covering the bottom of the pan. Repeat with the second ball of dough to make a second loaf.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until puffy and almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. Alternatively, cover pans with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Allow dough to come to room temperature before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. Brush over loaves.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 30-40 minutes until golden. Cover loosely with foil if the bread is browning too quickly.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.