Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 2004 cookbook, The Joy of Cranberries: The Tangy Red Treat, that I received from my partner in my 1st cookbook swap here on Zaar! Great served with either a cranberry butter or an orange butter!
Top Review by HokiesMom
A very nice scone recipe. The blend of flavors between the orange and the dried cranberries was fantastic. They are more cake-like than I am used to with a scone but that was still fine. Served them to friends too at church and they were very well received. One minor change was I used a cinnamon/sugar mix for the sugar sprinkle on top but nothing major. Baked in 30 minutes for a perfect golden brown top! Tagged in 123Hits.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup mandarin orange segments, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, & grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder & orange zest.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in Mandarin oranges & cranberries.
- In another bowl, mix sour cream, egg, orange juice & vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Stir this sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until well mixed.
- Spread batter into prepared pan & sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake 28-32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean & scone is lightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove from pan & cut into wedges.
- Best served warm, but any leftovers should be refrigerated.