1/4 Photos of Orange-Cranberry Oat Cake - Magazine Prize Tested Winner
1 hr 10 mins
WARNING! WARNING!! WARNING!!! Do not make this cake if you are expecting a tender fine crumbed cake!!!! The cake is not very sweet, and has a dense coarse texture due to the oats and optional nuts -- the cake bursts with orange and cranberry flavors and is ideal for breakfast! Based on $200 prize tested recipe from Better Homes and Gardens September 08 issue -- tube pan category, submitted by Michelle Gauer, Spicer MN. NOTE: for a more robust orange flavor, add 1 teaspoon Orange Extract - for Your Homemade Baking Gift Baskets! -- as a personal preference, add toasted chopped nuts, if desired! -- I baked the cake in a 10-in tube pan and I think the pan is too large for the recipe. The baked cake only rose to fill the tube pan about half full -- Bake in a Bundt pan for a prettier presentation!
My Private Note
tube or ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange peel (finely shredded)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1/2-3/4 cup nuts (toasted, then chopped) (optional)
- 1/3 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed ) (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange peel (finely shredded)
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1Cake preparation:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Grease and flour tube or bundt pan; set aside.
- 4In a bowl stir together flour, oats, baking powder, soda and salt.
- 5In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium mixer speed for 30 seconds.
- 6Add 1 cup sugar; beat until combined.
- 7Add eggs; beat until well combined.
- 8Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- 9Toss chopped cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; fold into batter with orange peel, and orange extract (optional), and chopped nuts (optional).
- 10Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. (My cake was done in 50 minutes.) Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan ~ Cool on rack ~ while cake is hot, punch holes in cake with a toothpick and spoon 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice over cake, if desired.
- 12Drizzle orange glaze over completely cooled cake.
- 13Orange Glaze preparation:.
- 14In small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar, finely shredded orange peel, and 2-3 teaspoons orange juice to make a drizzling consistency.
- 15Makes 12 servings.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Cranberry Oat Cake - Magazine Prize Tested Winner
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 350.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 29.5 g
- Protein 6.4 g