Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Something I whipped up for quick breakfasts on the go. Healthy and filling bran muffins with cranberries and a hint of orange.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 scoops optimum nutrition whey protein
- Firstly, I'd like to clarify something about the whey protein ingredient. The one I used is the Optimum Nutrition brand's "Any Whey Protein," which is a tasteless whey protein specifically designed for baking. You can pick it up at GNC or google it and buy it online. It's a great way to add protein to your daily foods. If you do not wish to use the whey protein, then cut 1/4 cup of orange juice from the recipe, and your baking time will be closer to 20 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Include the cranberries with the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir as little as possible; only as much as is needed to combine all the ingredients. If you mix it too much, the protein powder will make the muffins tough.
- Bake in lightly greased/cooking sprayed muffin pan at 375°F for 12-15 minutes or until firm to touch and light brown on top. The protein powder can also decrease the cooking time, so keep a close watch on them.
I love this is my favorite.It's very good to taste..