Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this salad and often take it to potlucks. Sometimes I add a chopped cucumber; sometimes I use black beans instead of chickpeas; and I almost always add a peeled and chopped fresh orange as well. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup drained canned mandarin oranges
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Bring water to boil in a 1-qt saucepan over high heat.
- Add couscous, turmeric, and pepper.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the chickpeas, oranges, onions, and raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, and orange peel.
- Pour over the salad and toss to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.