Recipe by Mercy
This is sort of a cross between a coffee cake and cornbread with a light orange flavor. Unexpectedly good. Light, moist, and not too sweet. And very easy to make.
Top Review by mamadelogan
I had high hopes for this cake but was disappointed. The batter was a bit salty( I used kosher salt), there was way too much sugar on top and the baking temperature caused the bottom to brown too much. If I make this again I would reduce the salt to 1/2 a tsp, add less sugar to the top(2-3 TB ) and reduce the baking temperature to 350. Sorry.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, for the topping
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (or dry white wine)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 finely grated orange, zest of
- orange section, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Brush bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with oil; line bottom with a round of wax or parchment paper, and brush paper with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar, and orange juice until smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest; whisk gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/3 cup sugar (topping will be thick). Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert cake gently onto a plate, and remove parchment paper. Re-invert cake onto a rack to cool completely. Serve with orange segments, if desired.