Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These have lots of orange flavor.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- In a mixing bowl,cream shortening and sugar.
- Add the buttermilk,eggs,orange juice and peel.
- Combine the dry ingredients,graduallu add to the creamed mixture.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remover to wire racks to cool.
- For Icing: Combine the powdered sugar,orange extract and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency.
- Spread over cooled cookies.