Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from the spring 2010 cooking club magazine. It looks yummy, but I haven't tried it yet.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 -4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350. Beat sugar, brown sugar, and shortening in large bowl at medium speed 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp orange juice, vanilla, and 1 tsp orange peel until blended.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in medium bowl. Beat into sugar mixture at low speed until just combined. Stir in oats and coconut.
- Drop 1 tbsp dough per cookie 3 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Meanwhile, combine butter, 3 tbsp orange juice, and 1 tbsp orange peel in large bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar until icing is of a spreadable consistency, adding additional juice if needed. Spread each cookie with generous 1 tsp frosting. Cool cookies completely on wire rack before icing.