Recipe by Vino Girl
Developed by Whole Foods Market for Fitness Magazine, April 2008. Allow a half an hour to chill the dough.
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light-brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups grated carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover currants with boiling water and let sit for 5-10 minutes; drain off water.
- Sift together flours, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and orange zest to egg-sugar mixture.
- Fold in carrot and drained currants.
- Add flour mixture just until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Scoop teaspoons of dough onto nonstick baking sheets (or line with parchment paper).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.