Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sweet, dry orange flavored cookies that are twisted together, baked and then glazed. They go great with a cup of hot tea. These cookies are a tradition in my family and have been for a long time. We make them every year for Christmas. I have noticed that with this recipe, the more zest that I put in the more flavor it has. Also with the juice from the orange, I just squeeze the orange with my fingers over the mixer and if pulp gets in, it gets in, and this seems to give the cookies added orange flavor, which I enjoy! I hope that you enjoy these cookies as much as my family and I have!
- 1 lb butter (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 7 cups flour (sifted)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 -3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together the butter(works better if it is chilled) oil, and sugar.
- While mixing the above add one egg at a time.
- Add baking powder, zest, juice, and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the 7 cups of flour after they have been sifted and mix until dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough for 15 minute.
- I grab about a 1 1/2 inch ball of dough and roll into a ball in my hand and then separate them. Then I roll out each ball with my hands to create about a three inch long dough strands, and then you twist the two together and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Glaze Directions (wait till cookies cool):.
- Mix 2-3 cups powdered sugar with orange juice (approx 1/4 -1/2 cup) until you get the glaze how you want it, I like it a bit thicker so I have more sugar and more orange.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- You can either dip the top half of the cookie into the glaze or you can brush on the glaze.
- Let them set on cooling rack, then you have the option to eat, serve or store!
These cookies are delicious! I only made 1/3 of a batch since I am just baking for myself. They have lots of orange flavor, especially with the glaze on there. Thanks for the yummy treat.