Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1981)
Top Review by Rätsel Feinschmecker
I followed the recipe with the addition of 1 tsp orange extract for the dough for a bit more aroma and flavor. I added 1tbsp of orange juice to the powdered sugar to make it a bit easier to blend, and to also give it a nice orangey color. Excellent recipe, will be making time and time again.
- 2⁄3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 large orange
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease baking sheets.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light.
- Stir in eggs, juice from orange and grated rind from orange.
- Stir in flour, salt, baking soda to combine.
- Stir in nuts, if using.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on rack while making icing.
- To make icing blend the remaining ingredients together (powdered sugar - orange peel) until smooth and then swirl icing over cookies, covering cookies completely.