Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1981)
Make and share this Orange Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease baking sheets.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light.
- Stir in eggs, juice from orange and grated rind from orange.
- Stir in flour, salt, baking soda to combine.
- Stir in nuts, if using.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on rack while making icing.
- To make icing blend the remaining ingredients together (powdered sugar - orange peel) until smooth and then swirl icing over cookies, covering cookies completely.
I followed the recipe with the addition of 1 tsp orange extract for the dough for a bit more aroma and flavor. I added 1tbsp of orange juice to the powdered sugar to make it a bit easier to blend, and to also give it a nice orangey color. Excellent recipe, will be making time and time again.
Chef-1800835309 The ingredient list calls for 1 orange, AND 2 teaspoons orange peel. The directions say to add the juice and peel OF THE orange to the dough This would tell me the 2 teaspoons for the frosting is in addition to the peel from the orange. This is why it is so important to always read a recipe all the way through before starting to prepare it, so you can catch any problems like this before you waste anything.<br/><br/>It is unfortunate that there is a type regarding baking soda/powder. I learned through experience a long time ago that if there is such a discrepancy in a recipe, use the item as listed in the ingredient list. Typos are nearly always made in the directions. But even with the cookies being flat (I assume you mean they didn't rise), I don't see why they would be inedible.
I tried to follow the instructions but there are several inconsistencies. For example in the ingredients it says to use 1/2 tsp of baking SODA and in the instructions it says to stir in baking POWDER. I used the powder and my cookies came out flat. I obviously guessed wrong. <br/><br/>Also the instructions say to use the orange peel in the cookie mixture on step 4. On step 10 it says to use the orange peel in the icing. The recipe does not say to use part of the peel in step 4, so I used it all. I'm really upset because I made these cookies with my kids and they are inedible. <br/><br/>Please proof read instructions.