Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Food Network magazine
Make and share this Orange-Coffee Flan recipe from Food.com.
- Heat the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it begins to melt.
- Cook, swirling the pan but not stirring, until deep amber, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the orange zest and cook 30 seconds.
- Pour into a 9-inch round cake pan tilt to coat.
- Let harden, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve the espresso powder in 1 T warm water in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Add the sweetened condensed mil, half-and-half, vanilla, cinnamon and 1/8 t salt whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the cake pan.
- Loosely cover the cake pan with foil (do not let the foil touch the custard).
- Line a roasting pan with a kitchen towel and set the cake pan on top.
- Transfer to the oven and fill the roasting pan with hot water, about halfway up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake until the flan is set but still wobbly in the center, 1 hour, 30 minutes to 1 hour, 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the water bath, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the water, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 8 hours.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the flan; let sit 20 minutes.
- Invert the flan onto a rimmed plate and unmold, letting the caramel drip out.
- Cut into wedges.
Awesome!!! I love flan and usually stick to the traditional. But this was exceptional. I love the nuance of the orange zest in the caramel, and the coffee/cinammon combo was the bomb. I made this in a cake pan as directed and a small ramekin so I could taste. Will post a picture of the large one tomorrow when I unmold. Thanks, Lainey, for posting a fabulous recipe!
We made 3 of these for a large family party and they were wonderful! The taste was absolutely delicious and the consistency was perfect too. Thanks for sharing a really good recipe.
To me, espresso and cinnamon are the flavors of Mexico. This wonderfully flavored flan is easy to make and the perfect finish to a great meal. Thanks so much for listing it!