These scones have a delicate orange flavor as to not dominate the coconut. If you are looking for a more prominent flavor of orange, add more freshly grated orange zest to the dough and/or be sure to use the orange glaze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest (approx. zest from 1-2 oranges)
- 3/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Variation (Orange Glaze)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour, ¼ cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- 3Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas.
- 4Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy.
- 5Combine the coconut and ¼ cup of flour, add to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
- 6Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough ¾-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn’t stick.
- 7Flour a 3-inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough. Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles.
- 8If Using Egg Wash & Orange Coconut Topping:.
- 9Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with orange-coconut topping, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes.
- 10If Using Orange Glaze:.
- 11Bake scones for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes. Combine confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Drizzle over tops of scones.
- 12Serve warm, with butter and honey.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Coconut Scones
Serving Size: 1 (2135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.1
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 148.3 mg
- Sodium 547.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 7.1 g