Recipe by Janie Marie
This pie took first place in a Food Network pie contest and looks delicious. I haven't actually made it yet, but it sounded so good I had to post it.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
- whipped topping, garnish
- shredded coconut, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Pie Crust:
- Chill all ingredients, including the flour and vinegar. Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles cornmeal. In another bowl, mix water and vinegar with the beaten egg. Add the liquid mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork to form a soft dough.
- In saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in water. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat, cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot mixture into yolks. Return mixture to saucepan, bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from stove. Stir in butter, orange peel and orange juice.
- Turn into pastry shell. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile prepare next layer by combining cream cheese and powdered sugar until well blended. Beat in the whipped topping until light and fluffy. Spread over orange filling.
- Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with shredded coconut as desired. Chill until serving.