Recipe by Elly in Canada
These squares are a family favourite and always on my Christmas baking list.
Top Review by Diana 2
These are so very easy to make. Perfect for this busy time of year. I baked them in a glass pan, so lowered the temperature to 325*. It took an additional 15 minutes to set completely, but that's not a problem. I did find them a tad on the sweet side, so next time I'll cut them into smaller squares. Thanks Elly for the wonderful recipe.
- 59.14 ml butter
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 9.85 ml grated orange zest
- 118.29 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml desiccated coconut
- 236.59 ml dates, pitted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Measure flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and stir to blend, set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat, remove from stove. Stir in brown sugar.
- Blend in egg, vanilla and orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir in coconut and dates.
- Spread mixture into a greased 7"x 11" pan.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before cutting in small squares.