Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These squares are a family favourite and always on my Christmas baking list.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Measure flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and stir to blend, set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat, remove from stove. Stir in brown sugar.
- Blend in egg, vanilla and orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir in coconut and dates.
- Spread mixture into a greased 7"x 11" pan.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before cutting in small squares.
These are so very easy to make. Perfect for this busy time of year. I baked them in a glass pan, so lowered the temperature to 325*. It took an additional 15 minutes to set completely, but that's not a problem. I did find them a tad on the sweet side, so next time I'll cut them into smaller squares. Thanks Elly for the wonderful recipe.
Excellent square. Dates, oranges and coconut make for squares I really enjoy - and what makes it really special - there are not all that many recipes using that combination - which makes for popular on the serving tray. Don't be waiting to make this one for Christmas - it's good any time! Thank you Elly.
These were great! I followed another reviewer's suggestion and cut back about a third on the sugar and they turned out wonderfully.