Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a torted orange-flavored sponge cake with coconut filling. The filling is made the day before you bake and assemble the cake.
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 fresh coconut (shake to make sure it has milk in it)
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Note: The filling has to thicken in the refrigerator overnight. To make the filling:.
- Poke holes in the top of the coconut and drain the milk - you should have approximately 1/3c. Split the coconut and shred the meat - the amount doesn't matter, just use what you get. Put into a ziplock bag or a bowl with a lid to stay fresh until the next day. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the marshmallows into the coconut milk, remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottoms of two 8" or 9" round cake pans with waxed paper.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy; gradually beat in 3/4c. sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4c. sugar until thick and lemon-colored; mix in the orange juice and salt.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture, and then fold in the flour.
- Pour batter into waxed-paper lined pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. (The tops will spring back to the touch). Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then turn out.
- Remove from the refrigerate and note that it has gelled and thickened.
- Whip marshmallow mixture until light and fluffy. Beat whipping cream until light and fluffy - don't add any sugar. Fold into marshmallow/coconut milk mixture.
- Split (torte) the 2 completely cooled cake layers so that you have 4 layers. Place first layer on cake plate and spread 1/4 marshmallow/cream mixture on top, sprinkle with shredded coconut. Alternate cake layers and marshmallow/cream mixture and coconut, ending with marshmallow/cream mixture & coconut on top. Store unused portion in refrigerator - it tastes better the 2nd day!