Recipe by Chabear01
From Moms old grey cookbook...these are the candied nuts she would make us at Christmas.
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups walnut halves
- sugar, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first four ingredients in saucepan. Boil to 238 degrees on candy thermometer. Add Walnuts.
- ***The rest is left empty in Moms book, but trying to remember what she did next I believe she set removed nuts onto parchment lined cookie sheet, and allowed to set, then rolled them in the extra sugar prior to putting into a lined tin which was only opened on Christmas Eve night -- and that was always the beginning of our Christmas.***.
- What I do is place on parchment lined cookie sheet, and place it into oven overnight to allow the pilot light only to dry them just a bit. Then I roll them into the coating sugar. I found they were more like Momma's that way, but try either way and see which one you like.
- servings and prep/cook time estimated for now.