Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 2 cups shelled whole almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled pecan halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled hazelnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Blanch almonds (cover with boiling water a bowl, drain, rinse with cool water, rub off skins).
- Spread nuts on rimmed baking pan.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, 20–25 minutes until lightly toasted.
- In small bowl stir together sugar, allspice and salt.
- In a separate small mixer bowl beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar mixture and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- By hand, fold in nuts and grated orange peel.
- Melt butter in oven on original baking pan. Return nut mixture to pan and spread over the butter.
- Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, 25–30 minutes until nuts are brown.
- Store up to two weeks in airtight container at room temperature.