Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bon Appetit, June 2005.
Make and share this Orange-Cinnamon Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 177.44 ml finely chopped onion
- 354.88 ml long-grain white rice
- 88.74 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml freshly grated orange zest
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 591.47 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml chopped unsalted natural pistachios
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute 5 minutes.
- Add rice, juice, peel, cinnamon, cumin, and salt. Stir 1 minute.
- Add broth; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until broth is absorbed, about 19 minutes.
- Season with pepper; mix in nuts.
Nice and different. I could think of few things to add, maybe some cardamom, currants, etc???
Delicious rice. Went well with a roast pork loin. None of the spices or citrus are overpowering, but blend well. The pistachios are a nice touch and add some texture. Will be making this one again!
This is a real 5 star winner. I didn't have fresh oranges for the zest so I gave it an added dose of oj. I could have doubled the cinnamon but I'm a "bark-head" and DH enjoyed it made as ask. The spicing is quite mild and should be loved by the kids as well as the adults in the family. It's so easy to get it started and then you can just forget it while to tend to the rest of the meal. I can't believe that I'm the first to review this one. I shouldn't be the last because this recipe deserves a following.