Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this easy cookie last night with my 3-year old DS and our 3 Year old little neighbor girl and they turned out awesome! They taste so Christmas-y!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest (From One Large Orage)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Beat 1 Cup Sugar, Shortening, Egg, Vanilla and Orange Zest.
- Add Orange Juice.
- Stir in Flour, Soda, and Salt.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until delicately browned.
- ADDITIONALLY, I tried this over the weekend using lime juice and zest and rolled them in plain white sugar and they were out-of-this-world!
Very good. I only got 2 dozen out of this recipe and froze 1 dozen for Xmas. But will make again even if it's not Xmas.
I thought these were yummy, like an orange snickerdoodle, but neither DH nor DD was crazy about them. I used orange sugar for a halloween theme.
Although I had to make a couple of changes, these were wonderful cookies, and part of my cookie boxes mailed to friends and relatives. I had no shortening, so used margarine (and since it is salted, omitted the salt from the recipe). My test cookie didn't have quite enough spice taste for me, so I added 2 t. cinnamon and 1/2 t allspice to the batter. (My cinnamon may not have been fresh enough). Very good recipe, thank you very much! -K